Sunday, January 27, 2013

By the way, My Friends are Staying for the Weekend

The backstory: I bought a foreclosure almost three years ago. Picture the classic trashed out nightmare foreclosure house and you've got a pretty good picture of my house when I bought it. When I moved in I spent hours upon hours scrubbing every single surface including the showers and bathtubs. I used the typical cleaning products I had always seen my mom use growing up. I then stepped it up a level when nothing seemed to make a dent and started scrubbing with a wire brush. When the wire brush couldn't even scrub off the decade of soap scum and hard water stains I pretty much gave up.

Fast forward to this week: Last Sunday evening at about 8:00 my husband nonchalantly tells me his friend and his wife will be staying with us all weekend. I'm sorry... DO WHAT?? Isn't that something you clear with the wife first???? Didn't realize I needed to spell that rule out for the hubby (we've barely been married a year and are still learning a lot). My panic quickly swelled as I ticked off the numerous chores and projects left undone around the house. My chief horror was the state of our guest bathroom. With in-town family and a half bath downstairs, the guest bath has been one of those projects we put on the back burner.

Quickly I geared up knowing I could make at least some progress Sunday evening. I got the tape measure, drill, hammer, etc, and started hanging the towel rods I purchased a year ago. Once I got the towel rods and toilet paper roll mounted I started to feel a little better. That is until I checked out the shower and lifted the toilet lid.

Simply put: the thought of another woman being asked to actually use that bathroom was horrifying. No amount of "it was the people before me" can cover that bathroom when I've owned the house for nearly three years. But after all the scrubbing I had already done I thought it was totally hopeless. On a whim, I sprayed down some scrubbing bubbles and then some comet (this was probably a bad idea as I'm sure I made some sort of toxic fumes and am lucky I didn't die...I don't recommend the miixing...) and then just left it over night. Shockingly, the next day, the nasty brown spot in the low part of the shower was gone!! No scrubbing no nothing!!

So of course, I took the scrubbing bubbles and comet right to the toilet (this time I didn't mix). I did scrub a little this time but then left the rest overnight. Like magic, the toilet looked brand spanking new in the morning. I so wish I had a picture but just imagine a potty that wasn't cleaned for years and continually runs (people before me I swear). It had about a centimeter thick brown buildup in the very bottom, plus rings and runs coating the entire bowl. So that's my weapon now, scrubbing bubbles and comet!! And now that my bathroom is presentable, I can't wait to have people at our house!

Here's some other pictures I do have of the house when I moved in so you can get the picture of how bad the toilet really was.


The original shower, definitely been replaced! 

Soo gross!! I don't know how this is even possible!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment